This week as part of my focus on embossing folders, I’m sharing this fun water-colour embossing folder technique. It’s quick & easy but can be a bit on the messy side. However, that is part of the fun of crafting isn’t it?!
Let me walk you through the technique. If you’d prefer to watch how this card comes together, check out the Watercolour Embossing Folder Technique Facebook live replay.
Watercolour Embossing Folder Technique
- Cut watercolour paper a bit larger than needed. For this card I used 3-1/2″ x 5″ and then after doing the technique cut it down to 3″ x 4-1/4″.
- Open your embossing folder and on the SU! logo side (the debossed side), rub desired ink colours across the folder. I used pool party, coastal cabana and bermuda bay. Stampin’ Spots came in handy for this smaller folder.
- Spritz the inked embossing folder and carefully place your watercolour paper on top and close the folder. Being careful not to move the paper, run it through your die cutting machine to emboss the image as you normally would.
- You may want to have a paper towel handy. When you remove your card stock, you may notice pools of ink on your plates and in the embossing folder. Use your paper towel to wipe those up so they don’t transfer onto another project.
- You’ll notice that you end up with a beautiful watercolored background and parts of the raised image are still white.
- Use your heat tool to dry the cardstock, trim and assemble as desired.
For this second sample which was the first one I created and played around with a bit. I did all the steps above. But then once the cardstock was dry, I took the three coloured ink pads (daffodil delight, pumpkin pie and cajun craze) and rubbed them across the raised image. It wasn’t quite the look I was going for so then I went over it with my blending brushes and those same ink colours.
I hope you enjoyed this weeks embossing folder technique. If you missed the last two, you can find them linked below.
Until next time,
Click on any of the images to shop my Canadian online store or to find out more about any of these products.